Hair is made up of dead cells called keratin and the major component of keratin is Vitamin B5, also known as pantothenic acid. If you’re looking to improve the quality of your hair in some way or another, Vitamin B5 may be exactly what you need! This article will discuss all the benefits of Vitamin B5 for hair and how to take advantage of it to get the glossy hair you’ve always wanted!
What is vitamin B5?
Vitamin B5 comes from the B group of vitamins and is water-soluble. It breaks down protein, fats, and carbohydrates to produce energy and is utilized for repairing damaged cells, tissues and muscles. Vitamin B5 is essential for maintaining healthy hair and skin.
In our body, Vitamin B5 is required to synthesize, metabolize and process fats, proteins, and coenzymes.
Vitamin B5 is also known as pantothenic acid which comes from the Greek word 'pantou'. Panthenol, another popular beauty ingredient in the skincare and haircare industry is the alcoholic analog of Pantothenic acid. Pantothenic acid is commonly found in most food that we consume regularly. Vitamin B5 is vital for the proper functioning of the liver and nervous system. It improves blood circulation and assists in the formation of red blood cells. It helps maintain a healthy digestive system.
Ensure that you get an adequate amount of B5 from your daily diet. Include vegetables such as broccoli, sweet potatoes, cabbage, beans, lentils, whole grain cereals, egg, meat, nuts, and mushrooms in your diet.
Benefits of vitamin B5 for hair
If you're looking for a way to get glossy, healthy hair, look no further than vitamin B5. Pantothenic acid or Vitamin B5 is essential for the growth and maintenance of your hair. Here are just a few of the benefits that vitamin B5 can provide for your hair.
- A thin, shiny film forms over the surface of your hair, giving it that extra shine.
- It is a great conditioner, which keeps your hair soft, smooth, and silky.
- This vitamin also helps prevent split ends
- Adding it to your diet will give you thicker hair that looks more lustrous. It also adds bounce and volume to your hair.
- It improves the hair’s elasticity and can even reduce the amount of shedding that happens on a daily basis.
- Along with preventing hair loss, vitamin B5 helps regulate the amount of oil in the scalp, preventing various scalp conditions such as dandruff.
- It helps retain the hydration level of the scalp and hair, thus keeping the hair hydrated for a longer time. It readily eliminates dryness and frizz, making the hair more manageable.
- Vitamin B5 has been shown to promote skin health as well as strong bones, these same properties can be beneficial for hair. It adds strength to the mane while, reducing hair thinning and hair breakage.
- Vitamin B5 readily attracts and binds with the water molecule, adding volume to your hair, and making it look thick and dense.
- When combined with other nutrients like zinc and iron, the effects of vitamin B5 on the hair become much more enunciated.
- Its anti-inflammatory property provides relief from the red, itchy, and irritated scalp. It improves the hydration level of the scalp and has a soothing effect.
- It keeps the scalp well-hydrated and nourished, and improves its microflora.
How to use vitamin B5 for haircare benefits?
Vitamin B5 is known for its intense hydrating, healing, and protective properties, due to which it is effectively used in many hair care products. You can utilize Vitamin B5 for hair care by :
- Using hair care products such as shampoo, conditioner, serums and hair masks which contain Vitamin B5. Curlvana’s Curl Shine Gentle Conditioner is loaded with the benefits of Vitamin B5 and will be an excellent addition to your hair care routine.
- Adding Vitamin B5 supplement to your daily routine.
- Another way to get your dose of vitamin B5 is by eating foods that are rich in nutrients, such as eggs, salmon, avocados, mushrooms, and sweet potatoes.
- Vitamin B5 is also available in powder form for topical application, so you can mix it with your hair gel or conditioner and apply it directly to your scalp.
Other ingredients it is compatible with
Vitamin B5 or pantothenic acid works well with all oil and water emulsions in cosmetic products. It blends well with conditioning emollients such as glycerine, hyaluronic acid and other vitamins.
Side effect of vitamin B5
This non-toxic and non-allergic haircare ingredient is generally considered to be safe on the skin. As per experts, pantothenic acid is considered to be safe for topical application on your scalp and is well tolerated by everyone. However, if you are using it for the first time, do a patch test to check for any allergic reaction.
Oral consumption of pantothenic acid may have adverse effects such as diarrhea, and vomiting when taken above the recommended amount.
After discovering why this incredible beauty ingredient is readily included in major hair care products, we guess must get your hands on it!
Also Read :
All the content published on www.Curlvana.in is solely for information purposes. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always consider seeking the advice of your physician or a qualified health care provider. The information, suggestion, or remedies mentioned on this site are provided without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.